Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
Industries in the Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services subsector group establishments engaged in processes where human capital is the major input. These establishments make available the knowledge and skills of their employees, often on an assignment basis, where an individual or team is responsible for the delivery of services to the client. The individual industries of this subsector are defined on the basis of the particular expertise and training of the services provider.
The distinguishing feature of the Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services subsector is the fact that most of the industries grouped in it have production processes that are almost wholly dependent on worker skills. In most of these industries, equipment and materials are not of major importance, unlike health care, for example, where "high tech" machines and materials are important collaborating inputs to labor skills in the production of health care.
Thus, the establishments classified in this subsector sell expertise. Much of the expertise requires degrees, though not in every case.
The immediate parent of subsector 541 is sector 54: Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
- 5411 - Legal Services
- 54111 - Offices of Lawyers
- 54112 - Offices of Notaries
- 54119 - Other Legal Services
- 5412 - Accounting, Tax Preparation, Bookkeeping, and Payroll Services
- 54121 - Accounting, Tax Preparation, Bookkeeping, and Payroll Services
- 5413 - Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services
- 54131 - Architectural Services
- 54132 - Landscape Architectural Services
- 54133 - Engineering Services
- 54134 - Drafting Services
- 54135 - Building Inspection Services
- 54136 - Geophysical Surveying and Mapping Services
- 54137 - Surveying and Mapping (except Geophysical) Services
- 54138 - Testing Laboratories
- 5414 - Specialized Design Services
- 54141 - Interior Design Services
- 54142 - Industrial Design Services
- 54143 - Graphic Design Services
- 54149 - Other Specialized Design Services
- 5415 - Computer Systems Design and Related Services
- 54151 - Computer Systems Design and Related Services
- 5416 - Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services
- 54161 - Management Consulting Services
- 541611 - Administrative Management and General Management Consulting Services
- 541612 - Human Resources Consulting Services
- 541613 - Marketing Consulting Services
- 541614 - Process, Physical Distribution, and Logistics Consulting Services
- 541618 - Other Management Consulting Services
- 54162 - Environmental Consulting Services
- 54169 - Other Scientific and Technical Consulting Services
- 5417 - Scientific Research and Development Services
- 54171 - Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences
- 541711 - Research and Development in Biotechnology
- 541712 - Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences (except Biotechnology)
- 54172 - Research and Development in the Social Sciences and Humanities
- 5418 - Advertising, Public Relations, and Related Services
- 54181 - Advertising Agencies
- 54182 - Public Relations Agencies
- 54183 - Media Buying Agencies
- 54184 - Media Representatives
- 54185 - Outdoor Advertising
- 54186 - Direct Mail Advertising
- 54187 - Advertising Material Distribution Services
- 54189 - Other Services Related to Advertising
- 5419 - Other Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
- 54191 - Marketing Research and Public Opinion Polling
- 54192 - Photographic Services
- 54193 - Translation and Interpretation Services
- 54194 - Veterinary Services
- 54199 - All Other Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
What's the difference between HD and SD? See our methodology.