national industry 541420
Industrial Design Services
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in creating and developing designs and specifications that optimize the use, value, and appearance of their products. These services can include the determination of the materials, construction, mechanisms, shape, color, and surface finishes of the product, taking into consideration human characteristics and needs, safety, market appeal, and efficiency in production, distribution, use, and maintenance. Establishments providing automobile or furniture industrial design services or industrial design consulting services are included in this industry.
The immediate parent of national industry 541420 is international industry 54142: Industrial Design Services
2012 NAICS Edition Cross References
- Establishments primarily engaged in:
- Applying physical laws and principles of engineering in the design, development, and utilization of machines, materials, instruments, structures, processes, and systems:are classified in Industry 541330, Engineering Services; and
- Designing clothing, shoes, or jewelry:are classified in Industry 541490, Other Specialized Design Services.
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
Insurance Industry Mappings
The US Property and Casualty Insurance Industry may use the following classification descriptions which might encompass national industry 541420, Industrial Design Services:
- business service not otherwise classified
- industrial design service
- industrial design service naic
- office not otherwise classified
- office not otherwise classified condominium office
- office not otherwise classified office
- other consulting service
- professional scientific and technical service
- professional scientific and technical service not otherwise classified naic
- specialized design service