international industry 54171
Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in conducting research and experimental development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences, such as agriculture, electronics, environmental, biology, botany, biotechnology, computers, chemistry, food, fisheries, forests, geology, health, mathematics, medicine, oceanography, pharmacy, physics, veterinary, and other allied subjects.
The immediate parent of international industry 54171 is industry group 5417: Scientific Research and Development Services
2012 NAICS Edition Cross References
- Establishments primarily engaged in:
- Providing veterinary testing services:are classified in Industry 54194, Veterinary Services;
- Providing medical laboratory testing for humans:are classified in Industry 62151, Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories;
- Providing physical, chemical, or other analytical testing services (except medical or veterinary), such as acoustics or vibration testing, calibration testing, electrical and electronic testing, geotechnical testing, mechanical testing, nondestructive testing, or thermal testing:are classified in Industry 54138, Testing Laboratories; and
- Manufacturing vaccines, toxoids, blood fractions, and culture media of plant or animal origin (except diagnostic use) and/or uncompounded medicinal chemicals and their derivatives (i.e., enzyme proteins and antibiotics for pharmaceutical use):are classified in Industry 32541, Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing.
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the international industry level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the international industry level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.