The Public Administration sector consists of establishments of federal, state, and local government agencies that administer, oversee, and manage public programs and have executive, legislative, or judicial authority over other institutions within a given area. These agencies also set policy, create laws, adjudicate civil and criminal legal cases, and provide for public safety and for national defense. In general, government establishments in the Public Administration sector oversee governmental programs and activities that are not performed by private establishments. Establishments in this sector typically are engaged in the organization and financing of the production of public goods and services, most of which are provided for free or at prices that are not economically significant.
Government establishments also engage in a wide range of productive activities covering not only public goods and services but also individual goods and services similar to those produced in sectors typically identified with private-sector establishments. In general, ownership is not a criterion for classification in NAICS. Therefore, government establishments engaged in the production of private-sector-like goods and services should be classified in the same industry as private-sector establishments engaged in similar activities.
As a practical matter, it is difficult to identify separate establishment detail for many government agencies. To the extent that separate establishment records are available, the administration of governmental programs is classified in Sector 92, Public Administration, while the operation of governmental programs is classified elsewhere in NAICS based on the activities performed. For example, the governmental administrative authority for an airport is classified in Industry 92612, Regulation and Administration of Transportation Programs, while operating the airport is classified in Industry 48811, Airport Operations. When separate records for multi-establishment companies are not available to distinguish between the administration of a governmental program and the operation of it, the establishment is classified in Sector 92, Public Administration.
Examples of government-provided goods and services that are classified in sectors other than Public Administration include: schools, classified in Sector 61, Educational Services; hospitals, classified in Subsector 622, Hospitals; establishments operating transportation facilities, classified in Sector 48-49, Transportation and Warehousing; the operation of utilities, classified in Sector 22, Utilities; and the Government Printing Office, classified in Subsector 323, Printing and Related Support Activities.
- 921 - Executive, Legislative, and Other General Government Support
- 9211 - Executive, Legislative, and Other General Government Support
- 92111 - Executive Offices
- 92112 - Legislative Bodies
- 92113 - Public Finance Activities
- 92114 - Executive and Legislative Offices, Combined
- 92115 - American Indian and Alaska Native Tribal Governments
- 92119 - Other General Government Support
- 922 - Justice, Public Order, and Safety Activities
- 9221 - Justice, Public Order, and Safety Activities
- 92211 - Courts
- 92212 - Police Protection
- 92213 - Legal Counsel and Prosecution
- 92214 - Correctional Institutions
- 92215 - Parole Offices and Probation Offices
- 92216 - Fire Protection
- 92219 - Other Justice, Public Order, and Safety Activities
- 923 - Administration of Human Resource Programs
- 9231 - Administration of Human Resource Programs
- 92311 - Administration of Education Programs
- 92312 - Administration of Public Health Programs
- 92313 - Administration of Human Resource Programs (except Education, Public Health, and Veterans' Affairs Programs)
- 923130 - Administration of Human Resource Programs (except Education, Public Health, and Veterans' Affairs Programs)
- 92314 - Administration of Veterans' Affairs
- 924 - Administration of Environmental Quality Programs
- 9241 - Administration of Environmental Quality Programs
- 925 - Administration of Housing Programs, Urban Planning, and Community Development
- 9251 - Administration of Housing Programs, Urban Planning, and Community Development
- 926 - Administration of Economic Programs
- 9261 - Administration of Economic Programs
- 92611 - Administration of General Economic Programs
- 92612 - Regulation and Administration of Transportation Programs
- 92613 - Regulation and Administration of Communications, Electric, Gas, and Other Utilities
- 92614 - Regulation of Agricultural Marketing and Commodities
- 92615 - Regulation, Licensing, and Inspection of Miscellaneous Commercial Sectors
- 927 - Space Research and Technology
- 9271 - Space Research and Technology
- 928 - National Security and International Affairs
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
What's the difference between HD and SD? See our methodology.