Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting
The Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in growing crops, raising animals, harvesting timber, and harvesting fish and other animals from a farm, ranch, or their natural habitats.
The establishments in this sector are often described as farms, ranches, dairies, greenhouses, nurseries, orchards, or hatcheries. A farm may consist of a single tract of land or a number of separate tracts which may be held under different tenures. For example, one tract may be owned by the farm operator and another rented. It may be operated by the operator alone or with the assistance of members of the household or hired employees, or it may be operated by a partnership, corporation, or other type of organization. When a landowner has one or more tenants, renters, croppers, or managers, the land operated by each is considered a farm.
The sector distinguishes two basic activities: agricultural production and agricultural support activities. Agricultural production includes establishments performing the complete farm or ranch operation, such as farm owner-operators, tenant farm operators, and sharecroppers. Agricultural support activities include establishments that perform one or more activities associated with farm operation, such as soil preparation, planting, harvesting, and management, on a contract or fee basis.
Excluded from the Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting sector are establishments primarily engaged in agricultural research and establishments primarily engaged in administering programs for regulating and conserving land, mineral, wildlife, and forest use. These establishments are classified in Industry 54171, Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences; and Industry 92412, Administration of Conservation Programs, respectively.
- 111 - Crop Production
- 1111 - Oilseed and Grain Farming
- 11111 - Soybean Farming
- 11112 - Oilseed (except Soybean) Farming
- 11113 - Dry Pea and Bean Farming
- 11114 - Wheat Farming
- 11115 - Corn Farming
- 11116 - Rice Farming
- 11119 - Other Grain Farming
- 1112 - Vegetable and Melon Farming
- 11121 - Vegetable and Melon Farming
- 1113 - Fruit and Tree Nut Farming
- 11131 - Orange Groves
- 11132 - Citrus (except Orange) Groves
- 11133 - Noncitrus Fruit and Tree Nut Farming
- 1114 - Greenhouse, Nursery, and Floriculture Production
- 11141 - Food Crops Grown Under Cover
- 11142 - Nursery and Floriculture Production
- 1119 - Other Crop Farming
- 11191 - Tobacco Farming
- 11192 - Cotton Farming
- 11193 - Sugarcane Farming
- 11194 - Hay Farming
- 11199 - All Other Crop Farming
- 112 - Animal Production and Aquaculture
- 1121 - Cattle Ranching and Farming
- 11211 - Beef Cattle Ranching and Farming, including Feedlots
- 11212 - Dairy Cattle and Milk Production
- 11213 - Dual-Purpose Cattle Ranching and Farming
- 1122 - Hog and Pig Farming
- 1123 - Poultry and Egg Production
- 11231 - Chicken Egg Production
- 11232 - Broilers and Other Meat Type Chicken Production
- 11233 - Turkey Production
- 11234 - Poultry Hatcheries
- 11239 - Other Poultry Production
- 1124 - Sheep and Goat Farming
- 1125 - Aquaculture
- 11251 - Aquaculture
- 1129 - Other Animal Production
- 113 - Forestry and Logging
- 1131 - Timber Tract Operations
- 1132 - Forest Nurseries and Gathering of Forest Products
- 11321 - Forest Nurseries and Gathering of Forest Products
- 1133 - Logging
- 114 - Fishing, Hunting and Trapping
- 1141 - Fishing
- 1142 - Hunting and Trapping
- 115 - Support Activities for Agriculture and Forestry
- 1151 - Support Activities for Crop Production
- 11511 - Support Activities for Crop Production
- 1152 - Support Activities for Animal Production
- 1153 - Support Activities for Forestry
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
What's the difference between HD and SD? See our methodology.