Industries in the Food Manufacturing subsector transform livestock and agricultural products into products for intermediate or final consumption. The industry groups are distinguished by the raw materials (generally of animal or vegetable origin) processed into food products.
The food products manufactured in these establishments are typically sold to wholesalers or retailers for distribution to consumers, but establishments primarily engaged in retailing bakery and candy products made on the premises not for immediate consumption are included.
Establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing beverages are classified in Subsector 312, Beverage and Tobacco Product Manufacturing.
The immediate parent of subsector 311 is sector 31-33: Manufacturing
- 3111 - Animal Food Manufacturing
- 31111 - Animal Food Manufacturing
- 3112 - Grain and Oilseed Milling
- 31121 - Flour Milling and Malt Manufacturing
- 31122 - Starch and Vegetable Fats and Oils Manufacturing
- 311221 - Wet Corn Milling
- 311224 - Soybean and Other Oilseed Processing
- 311225 - Fats and Oils Refining and Blending
- 31123 - Breakfast Cereal Manufacturing
- 3113 - Sugar and Confectionery Product Manufacturing
- 31131 - Sugar Manufacturing
- 31134 - Nonchocolate Confectionery Manufacturing
- 31135 - Chocolate and Confectionery Manufacturing
- 3114 - Fruit and Vegetable Preserving and Specialty Food Manufacturing
- 31141 - Frozen Food Manufacturing
- 311411 - Frozen Fruit, Juice, and Vegetable Manufacturing
- 311412 - Frozen Specialty Food Manufacturing
- 31142 - Fruit and Vegetable Canning, Pickling, and Drying
- 3115 - Dairy Product Manufacturing
- 31151 - Dairy Product (except Frozen) Manufacturing
- 311511 - Fluid Milk Manufacturing
- 311512 - Creamery Butter Manufacturing
- 311513 - Cheese Manufacturing
- 311514 - Dry, Condensed, and Evaporated Dairy Product Manufacturing
- 31152 - Ice Cream and Frozen Dessert Manufacturing
- 3116 - Animal Slaughtering and Processing
- 31161 - Animal Slaughtering and Processing
- 3117 - Seafood Product Preparation and Packaging
- 31171 - Seafood Product Preparation and Packaging
- 3118 - Bakeries and Tortilla Manufacturing
- 31181 - Bread and Bakery Product Manufacturing
- 311811 - Retail Bakeries
- 311812 - Commercial Bakeries
- 311813 - Frozen Cakes, Pies, and Other Pastries Manufacturing
- 31182 - Cookie, Cracker, and Pasta Manufacturing
- 311821 - Cookie and Cracker Manufacturing
- 311824 - Dry Pasta, Dough, and Flour Mixes Manufacturing from Purchased Flour
- 31183 - Tortilla Manufacturing
- 3119 - Other Food Manufacturing
- 31191 - Snack Food Manufacturing
- 31192 - Coffee and Tea Manufacturing
- 31193 - Flavoring Syrup and Concentrate Manufacturing
- 31194 - Seasoning and Dressing Manufacturing
- 311941 - Mayonnaise, Dressing, and Other Prepared Sauce Manufacturing
- 311942 - Spice and Extract Manufacturing
- 31199 - All Other Food Manufacturing
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.