Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
The Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services sector comprises establishments that specialize in performing professional, scientific, and technical activities for others. These activities require a high degree of expertise and training. The establishments in this sector specialize according to expertise and provide these services to clients in a variety of industries and, in some cases, to households. Activities performed include: legal advice and representation; accounting, bookkeeping, and payroll services; architectural, engineering, and specialized design services; computer services; consulting services; research services; advertising services; photographic services; translation and interpretation services; veterinary services; and other professional, scientific, and technical services.
This sector excludes establishments primarily engaged in providing a range of day-to-day office administrative services, such as financial planning, billing and recordkeeping, personnel supply, and physical distribution and logistics. These establishments are classified in Sector 56, Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services.
- 541 - Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
- 5411 - Legal Services
- 54111 - Offices of Lawyers
- 54112 - Offices of Notaries
- 54119 - Other Legal Services
- 5412 - Accounting, Tax Preparation, Bookkeeping, and Payroll Services
- 54121 - Accounting, Tax Preparation, Bookkeeping, and Payroll Services
- 5413 - Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services
- 54131 - Architectural Services
- 54132 - Landscape Architectural Services
- 54133 - Engineering Services
- 54134 - Drafting Services
- 54135 - Building Inspection Services
- 54136 - Geophysical Surveying and Mapping Services
- 54137 - Surveying and Mapping (except Geophysical) Services
- 54138 - Testing Laboratories
- 5414 - Specialized Design Services
- 54141 - Interior Design Services
- 54142 - Industrial Design Services
- 54143 - Graphic Design Services
- 54149 - Other Specialized Design Services
- 5415 - Computer Systems Design and Related Services
- 54151 - Computer Systems Design and Related Services
- 5416 - Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services
- 54161 - Management Consulting Services
- 541611 - Administrative Management and General Management Consulting Services
- 541612 - Human Resources Consulting Services
- 541613 - Marketing Consulting Services
- 541614 - Process, Physical Distribution, and Logistics Consulting Services
- 541618 - Other Management Consulting Services
- 54162 - Environmental Consulting Services
- 54169 - Other Scientific and Technical Consulting Services
- 5417 - Scientific Research and Development Services
- 54171 - Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences
- 541713 - Research and Development in Nanotechnology
- 541714 - Research and Development in Biotechnology (except Nanobiotechnology)
- 541715 - Research and Development in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences (except Nanotechnology and Biotechnology)
- 54172 - Research and Development in the Social Sciences and Humanities
- 5418 - Advertising, Public Relations, and Related Services
- 54181 - Advertising Agencies
- 54182 - Public Relations Agencies
- 54183 - Media Buying Agencies
- 54184 - Media Representatives
- 54185 - Outdoor Advertising
- 54186 - Direct Mail Advertising
- 54187 - Advertising Material Distribution Services
- 54189 - Other Services Related to Advertising
- 5419 - Other Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
- 54191 - Marketing Research and Public Opinion Polling
- 54192 - Photographic Services
- 54193 - Translation and Interpretation Services
- 54194 - Veterinary Services
- 54199 - All Other Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
What's the difference between HD and SD? See our methodology.