Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
Industries in the Transportation Equipment Manufacturing subsector produce equipment for transporting people and goods. Transportation equipment is a type of machinery. An entire subsector is devoted to this activity because of the significance of its economic size in all three North American countries.
Establishments in this subsector utilize production processes similar to those of other machinery manufacturing establishments—bending, forming, welding, machining, and assembling metal or plastic parts into components and finished products. However, the assembly of components and subassemblies and their further assembly into finished vehicles tends to be a more common production process in this subsector than in the Machinery Manufacturing subsector.
NAICS has industry groups for the manufacture of equipment for each mode of transport—road, rail, air and water. Parts for motor vehicles warrant a separate industry group because of their importance and because they require less assembly than complete vehicles.
Land use motor vehicle equipment not designed for highway operation (e.g., agricultural equipment, construction equipment, and material handling equipment) is classified in the appropriate NAICS subsector based on the type and use of the equipment.
The immediate parent of subsector 336 is sector 31-33: Manufacturing
- 3361 - Motor Vehicle Manufacturing
- 33611 - Automobile and Light Duty Motor Vehicle Manufacturing
- 33612 - Heavy Duty Truck Manufacturing
- 3362 - Motor Vehicle Body and Trailer Manufacturing
- 33621 - Motor Vehicle Body and Trailer Manufacturing
- 3363 - Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing
- 33631 - Motor Vehicle Gasoline Engine and Engine Parts Manufacturing
- 33632 - Motor Vehicle Electrical and Electronic Equipment Manufacturing
- 33633 - Motor Vehicle Steering and Suspension Components (except Spring) Manufacturing
- 33634 - Motor Vehicle Brake System Manufacturing
- 33635 - Motor Vehicle Transmission and Power Train Parts Manufacturing
- 33636 - Motor Vehicle Seating and Interior Trim Manufacturing
- 33637 - Motor Vehicle Metal Stamping
- 33639 - Other Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturing
- 3364 - Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing
- 33641 - Aerospace Product and Parts Manufacturing
- 336411 - Aircraft Manufacturing
- 336412 - Aircraft Engine and Engine Parts Manufacturing
- 336413 - Other Aircraft Parts and Auxiliary Equipment Manufacturing
- 336414 - Guided Missile and Space Vehicle Manufacturing
- 336415 - Guided Missile and Space Vehicle Propulsion Unit and Propulsion Unit Parts Manufacturing
- 336419 - Other Guided Missile and Space Vehicle Parts and Auxiliary Equipment Manufacturing
- 3365 - Railroad Rolling Stock Manufacturing
- 3366 - Ship and Boat Building
- 3369 - Other Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.