Health Care and Social Assistance
The Health Care and Social Assistance sector comprises establishments providing health care and social assistance for individuals. The sector includes both health care and social assistance because it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between the boundaries of these two activities. The industries in this sector are arranged on a continuum starting with those establishments providing medical care exclusively, continuing with those providing health care and social assistance, and finally finishing with those providing only social assistance. The services provided by establishments in this sector are delivered by trained professionals. All industries in the sector share this commonality of process, namely, labor inputs of health practitioners or social workers with the requisite expertise. Many of the industries in the sector are defined based on the educational degree held by the practitioners included in the industry.
Excluded from this sector are aerobic classes in Subsector 713, Amusement, Gambling, and Recreation Industries and nonmedical diet and weight reducing centers in Subsector 812, Personal and Laundry Services. Although these can be viewed as health services, these services are not typically delivered by health practitioners.
- 621 - Ambulatory Health Care Services
- 6211 - Offices of Physicians
- 62111 - Offices of Physicians
- 6212 - Offices of Dentists
- 6213 - Offices of Other Health Practitioners
- 62131 - Offices of Chiropractors
- 62132 - Offices of Optometrists
- 62133 - Offices of Mental Health Practitioners (except Physicians)
- 62134 - Offices of Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapists, and Audiologists
- 62139 - Offices of All Other Health Practitioners
- 6214 - Outpatient Care Centers
- 62141 - Family Planning Centers
- 62142 - Outpatient Mental Health and Substance Abuse Centers
- 62149 - Other Outpatient Care Centers
- 6215 - Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories
- 62151 - Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories
- 6216 - Home Health Care Services
- 6219 - Other Ambulatory Health Care Services
- 622 - Hospitals
- 6221 - General Medical and Surgical Hospitals
- 6222 - Psychiatric and Substance Abuse Hospitals
- 62221 - Psychiatric and Substance Abuse Hospitals
- 6223 - Specialty (except Psychiatric and Substance Abuse) Hospitals
- 623 - Nursing and Residential Care Facilities
- 6231 - Nursing Care Facilities (Skilled Nursing Facilities)
- 62311 - Nursing Care Facilities (Skilled Nursing Facilities)
- 6232 - Residential Intellectual and Developmental Disability, Mental Health, and Substance Abuse Facilites
- 62321 - Residential Intellectual and Developmental Disability Facilities
- 62322 - Residential Mental Health and Substance Abuse Facilities
- 6233 - Continuing Care Retirement Communities and Assisted Living Facilities for the Elderly
- 62331 - Continuing Care Retirement Communities and Assisted Living Facilities for the Elderly
- 6239 - Other Residential Care Facilities
- 624 - Social Assistance
- 6241 - Individual and Family Services
- 62411 - Child and Youth Services
- 62412 - Services for the Elderly and Persons with Disabilities
- 62419 - Other Individual and Family Services
- 6242 - Community Food and Housing, and Emergency and Other Relief Services
- 62421 - Community Food Services
- 62422 - Community Housing Services
- 62423 - Emergency and Other Relief Services
- 6243 - Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- 6244 - Child Day Care Services
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
What's the difference between HD and SD? See our methodology.