Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing
Industries in the Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing subsector transform metal into intermediate or end products, other than machinery, computers and electronics, and metal furniture, or treat metals and metal formed products fabricated elsewhere. Important fabricated metal processes are forging, stamping, bending, forming, and machining, used to shape individual pieces of metal; and other processes, such as welding and assembling, used to join separate parts together. Establishments in this subsector may use one of these processes or a combination of these processes.
The NAICS structure for this subsector distinguishes the forging and stamping processes in a single industry. The remaining industries in the subsector group establishments based on similar combinations of processes used to make products.
The manufacturing performed in the Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing subsector begins with manufactured metal shapes. The establishments in this subsector further fabricate the purchased metal shapes into a product. For instance, the Spring and Wire Product Manufacturing industry starts with wire and fabricates such items.
Within manufacturing there are other establishments that make the same products made by this subsector; only these establishments begin production further back in the production process. These establishments have a more integrated operation. For instance, one establishment may manufacture steel, draw it into wire, and make wire products in the same establishment. Such operations are classified in the Primary Metal Manufacturing subsector.
The immediate parent of subsector 332 is sector 31-33: Manufacturing
- 3321 - Forging and Stamping
- 33211 - Forging and Stamping
- 3322 - Cutlery and Handtool Manufacturing
- 33221 - Cutlery and Handtool Manufacturing
- 3323 - Architectural and Structural Metals Manufacturing
- 33231 - Plate Work and Fabricated Structural Product Manufacturing
- 332311 - Prefabricated Metal Building and Component Manufacturing
- 332312 - Fabricated Structural Metal Manufacturing
- 332313 - Plate Work Manufacturing
- 33232 - Ornamental and Architectural Metal Products Manufacturing
- 3324 - Boiler, Tank, and Shipping Container Manufacturing
- 33241 - Power Boiler and Heat Exchanger Manufacturing
- 33242 - Metal Tank (Heavy Gauge) Manufacturing
- 33243 - Metal Can, Box, and Other Metal Container (Light Gauge) Manufacturing
- 3325 - Hardware Manufacturing
- 3326 - Spring and Wire Product Manufacturing
- 33261 - Spring and Wire Product Manufacturing
- 3327 - Machine Shops; Turned Product; and Screw, Nut, and Bolt Manufacturing
- 33271 - Machine Shops
- 33272 - Turned Product and Screw, Nut, and Bolt Manufacturing
- 3328 - Coating, Engraving, Heat Treating, and Allied Activities
- 33281 - Coating, Engraving, Heat Treating, and Allied Activities
- 3329 - Other Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing
- 33291 - Metal Valve Manufacturing
- 332911 - Industrial Valve Manufacturing
- 332912 - Fluid Power Valve and Hose Fitting Manufacturing
- 332913 - Plumbing Fixture Fitting and Trim Manufacturing
- 332919 - Other Metal Valve and Pipe Fitting Manufacturing
- 33299 - All Other Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing
- 332991 - Ball and Roller Bearing Manufacturing
- 332992 - Small Arms Ammunition Manufacturing
- 332993 - Ammunition (except Small Arms) Manufacturing
- 332994 - Small Arms, Ordnance, and Ordnance Accessories Manufacturing
- 332996 - Fabricated Pipe and Pipe Fitting Manufacturing
- 332999 - All Other Miscellaneous Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.