Primary Metal Manufacturing
Industries in the Primary Metal Manufacturing subsector smelt and/or refine ferrous and nonferrous metals from ore, pig or scrap, using electrometallurgical and other process metallurgical techniques. Establishments in this subsector also manufacture metal alloys and superalloys by introducing other chemical elements to pure metals. The output of smelting and refining, usually in ingot form, is used in rolling, drawing, and extruding operations to make sheet, strip, bar, rod, or wire, and in molten form to make castings and other basic metal products.
Primary manufacturing of ferrous and nonferrous metals begins with ore or concentrate as the primary input. Establishments manufacturing primary metals from ore and/or concentrate remain classified in the primary smelting, primary refining, or iron and steel mill industries regardless of the form of their output. Establishments primarily engaged in secondary smelting and/or secondary refining recover ferrous and nonferrous metals from scrap and/or dross. The output of the secondary smelting and/or secondary refining industries is limited to shapes such as ingot or billet that will be further processed. Recovery of metals from scrap often occurs in establishments that are primarily engaged in activities, such as rolling, drawing, extruding, or similar processes.
Excluded from the Primary Metal Manufacturing subsector are establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing ferrous and nonferrous forgings (except ferrous forgings made in steel mills) and stampings. Although forging, stamping, and casting are all methods used to make metal shapes, forging and stamping do not use molten metals and are included in Subsector 332, Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing. Establishments primarily engaged in operating coke ovens are classified in Industry 32419, Other Petroleum and Coal Products Manufacturing.
The immediate parent of subsector 331 is sector 31-33: Manufacturing
- 3311 - Iron and Steel Mills and Ferroalloy Manufacturing
- 33111 - Iron and Steel Mills and Ferroalloy Manufacturing
- 3312 - Steel Product Manufacturing from Purchased Steel
- 33121 - Iron and Steel Pipe and Tube Manufacturing from Purchased Steel
- 33122 - Rolling and Drawing of Purchased Steel
- 3313 - Alumina and Aluminum Production and Processing
- 33131 - Alumina and Aluminum Production and Processing
- 3314 - Nonferrous Metal (except Aluminum) Production and Processing
- 33141 - Nonferrous Metal (except Aluminum) Smelting and Refining
- 33142 - Copper Rolling, Drawing, Extruding, and Alloying
- 33149 - Nonferrous Metal (except Copper and Aluminum) Rolling, Drawing, Extruding, and Alloying
- 3315 - Foundries
- 33151 - Ferrous Metal Foundries
- 331511 - Iron Foundries
- 331512 - Steel Investment Foundries
- 331513 - Steel Foundries (except Investment)
- 33152 - Nonferrous Metal Foundries
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.