The Chemical Manufacturing subsector is based on the transformation of organic and inorganic raw materials by a chemical process and the formulation of products. This subsector distinguishes the production of basic chemicals that comprise the first industry group from the production of intermediate and end products produced by further processing of basic chemicals that make up the remaining industry groups.
This subsector does not include all industries transforming raw materials by a chemical process. It is common for some chemical processing to occur during mining operations. These beneficiating operations, such as copper concentrating, are classified in Sector 21, Mining, Quarrying, and Oil and Gas Extraction. Furthermore, the refining of crude petroleum is included in Subsector 324, Petroleum and Coal Products Manufacturing. In addition, the manufacturing of aluminum oxide is included in Subsector 331, Primary Metal Manufacturing; and beverage distilleries are classified in Subsector 312, Beverage and Tobacco Product Manufacturing. As is the case of these two activities, the grouping of industries into subsectors may take into account the association of the activities performed with other activities in the subsector.
The immediate parent of subsector 325 is sector 31-33: Manufacturing
- 3251 - Basic Chemical Manufacturing
- 32511 - Petrochemical Manufacturing
- 32512 - Industrial Gas Manufacturing
- 32513 - Synthetic Dye and Pigment Manufacturing
- 32518 - Other Basic Inorganic Chemical Manufacturing
- 32519 - Other Basic Organic Chemical Manufacturing
- 3252 - Resin, Synthetic Rubber, and Artificial and Synthetic Fibers and Filaments Manufacturing
- 32521 - Resin and Synthetic Rubber Manufacturing
- 32522 - Artificial and Synthetic Fibers and Filaments Manufacturing
- 3253 - Pesticide, Fertilizer, and Other Agricultural Chemical Manufacturing
- 32531 - Fertilizer Manufacturing
- 325311 - Nitrogenous Fertilizer Manufacturing
- 325312 - Phosphatic Fertilizer Manufacturing
- 325314 - Fertilizer (Mixing Only) Manufacturing
- 32532 - Pesticide and Other Agricultural Chemical Manufacturing
- 3254 - Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing
- 32541 - Pharmaceutical and Medicine Manufacturing
- 3255 - Paint, Coating, and Adhesive Manufacturing
- 32551 - Paint and Coating Manufacturing
- 32552 - Adhesive Manufacturing
- 3256 - Soap, Cleaning Compound, and Toilet Preparation Manufacturing
- 32561 - Soap and Cleaning Compound Manufacturing
- 325611 - Soap and Other Detergent Manufacturing
- 325612 - Polish and Other Sanitation Good Manufacturing
- 325613 - Surface Active Agent Manufacturing
- 32562 - Toilet Preparation Manufacturing
- 3259 - Other Chemical Product and Preparation Manufacturing
- 32591 - Printing Ink Manufacturing
- 32592 - Explosives Manufacturing
- 32599 - All Other Chemical Product and Preparation Manufacturing
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.