Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
Industries in the Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing subsector group establishments that manufacture computers, computer peripherals, communications equipment, and similar electronic products, and establishments that manufacture components for such products. The Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing industries have been combined in the hierarchy of NAICS because of the economic significance they have attained. Their
rapid growth suggests that they will become even more important to the economies of all three North American countries in the future, and in addition their manufacturing processes are fundamentally different from the manufacturing processes of other machinery and equipment. The design and use of integrated circuits and the application of highly specialized miniaturization technologies are common elements in the production technologies of the computer and electronic subsector. Convergence of technology motivates this NAICS subsector.
Digitalization of sound recording, for example, causes both the medium (the compact disc) and the equipment to resemble the technologies for recording, storing, transmitting, and manipulating data. Communications technology and equipment have been converging with computer technology. When technologically-related components are in the same sector, it makes it easier to adjust the classification for future changes, without needing to redefine its basic structure. The creation of the Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing subsector assists in delineating new and emerging industries because the activities that will serve as the probable sources of new industries, such as computer manufacturing and communications equipment manufacturing, or computers and audio equipment, are brought together. As new activities emerge, they are less likely therefore, to cross the subsector boundaries of the classification.
The immediate parent of subsector 334 is sector 31-33: Manufacturing
- 3341 - Computer and Peripheral Equipment Manufacturing
- 33411 - Computer and Peripheral Equipment Manufacturing
- 3342 - Communications Equipment Manufacturing
- 33421 - Telephone Apparatus Manufacturing
- 33422 - Radio and Television Broadcasting and Wireless Communications Equipment Manufacturing
- 33429 - Other Communications Equipment Manufacturing
- 3343 - Audio and Video Equipment Manufacturing
- 3344 - Semiconductor and Other Electronic Component Manufacturing
- 33441 - Semiconductor and Other Electronic Component Manufacturing
- 334412 - Bare Printed Circuit Board Manufacturing
- 334413 - Semiconductor and Related Device Manufacturing
- 334416 - Capacitor, Resistor, Coil, Transformer, and Other Inductor Manufacturing
- 334417 - Electronic Connector Manufacturing
- 334418 - Printed Circuit Assembly (Electronic Assembly) Manufacturing
- 334419 - Other Electronic Component Manufacturing
- 3345 - Navigational, Measuring, Electromedical, and Control Instruments Manufacturing
- 33451 - Navigational, Measuring, Electromedical, and Control Instruments Manufacturing
- 334510 - Electromedical and Electrotherapeutic Apparatus Manufacturing
- 334511 - Search, Detection, Navigation, Guidance, Aeronautical, and Nautical System and Instrument Manufacturing
- 334512 - Automatic Environmental Control Manufacturing for Residential, Commercial, and Appliance Use
- 334513 - Instruments and Related Products Manufacturing for Measuring, Displaying, and Controlling Industrial Process Variables
- 334514 - Totalizing Fluid Meter and Counting Device Manufacturing
- 334515 - Instrument Manufacturing for Measuring and Testing Electricity and Electrical Signals
- 334516 - Analytical Laboratory Instrument Manufacturing
- 334517 - Irradiation Apparatus Manufacturing
- 334519 - Other Measuring and Controlling Device Manufacturing
- 3346 - Manufacturing and Reproducing Magnetic and Optical Media
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.