Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation
The Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation sector includes a wide range of establishments that operate facilities or provide services to meet varied cultural, entertainment, and recreational interests of their patrons. This sector comprises (1) establishments that are involved in producing, promoting, or participating in live performances, events, or exhibits intended for public viewing; (2) establishments that preserve and exhibit objects and sites of historical, cultural, or educational interest; and (3) establishments that operate facilities or provide services that enable patrons to participate in recreational activities or pursue amusement, hobby, and leisure-time interests.
Some establishments that provide cultural, entertainment, or recreational facilities and services are classified in other sectors. Excluded from this sector are: (1) establishments that provide both accommodations and recreational facilities, such as hunting and fishing camps and resort and casino hotels are classified in Subsector 721, Accommodation; (2) restaurants and night clubs that provide live entertainment in addition to the sale of food and beverages are classified in Subsector 722, Food Services and Drinking Places; (3) motion picture theaters, libraries and archives, and publishers of newspapers, magazines, books, periodicals, and computer software are classified in Sector 51, Information; and (4) establishments using transportation equipment to provide recreational and entertainment services, such as those operating sightseeing buses, dinner cruises, or helicopter rides, are classified in Subsector 487, Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation.
- 711 - Performing Arts, Spectator Sports, and Related Industries
- 7111 - Performing Arts Companies
- 71111 - Theater Companies and Dinner Theaters
- 71112 - Dance Companies
- 71113 - Musical Groups and Artists
- 71119 - Other Performing Arts Companies
- 7112 - Spectator Sports
- 71121 - Spectator Sports
- 7113 - Promoters of Performing Arts, Sports, and Similar Events
- 71131 - Promoters of Performing Arts, Sports, and Similar Events with Facilities
- 71132 - Promoters of Performing Arts, Sports, and Similar Events without Facilities
- 7114 - Agents and Managers for Artists, Athletes, Entertainers, and Other Public Figures
- 71141 - Agents and Managers for Artists, Athletes, Entertainers, and Other Public Figures
- 7115 - Independent Artists, Writers, and Performers
- 712 - Museums, Historical Sites, and Similar Institutions
- 7121 - Museums, Historical Sites, and Similar Institutions
- 713 - Amusement, Gambling, and Recreation Industries
- 7131 - Amusement Parks and Arcades
- 71311 - Amusement and Theme Parks
- 71312 - Amusement Arcades
- 7132 - Gambling Industries
- 71321 - Casinos (except Casino Hotels)
- 71329 - Other Gambling Industries
- 7139 - Other Amusement and Recreation Industries
- 71391 - Golf Courses and Country Clubs
- 71392 - Skiing Facilities
- 71393 - Marinas
- 71394 - Fitness and Recreational Sports Centers
- 71395 - Bowling Centers
- 71399 - All Other Amusement and Recreation Industries
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
What's the difference between HD and SD? See our methodology.