Industries in the Educational Services subsector provide instruction and training in a wide variety of subjects. The instruction and training is provided by specialized establishments, such as schools, colleges, universities, and training centers.
The subsector is structured according to level and type of educational services. Elementary and secondary schools, junior colleges and colleges, universities, and professional schools correspond to a recognized series of formal levels of education designated by diplomas, associate degrees (including equivalent certificates), and degrees. The remaining industry groups are based more on the type of instruction or training offered and the levels are not always as formally defined. The establishments are often highly specialized, many offering instruction in a very limited subject matter, for example ski lessons or one specific computer software package. Within the sector, the level and types of training that are required of the instructors and teachers vary depending on the industry.
Establishments that manage schools and other educational establishments on a contractual basis are classified in this subsector if they both manage the operation and provide the operating staff. Such establishments are classified in the Educational Services subsector based on the type of facility managed and operated.
The immediate parent of subsector 611 is sector 61: Educational Services
- 6111 - Elementary and Secondary Schools
- 6112 - Junior Colleges
- 6113 - Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools
- 61131 - Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools
- 6114 - Business Schools and Computer and Management Training
- 61141 - Business and Secretarial Schools
- 61142 - Computer Training
- 61143 - Professional and Management Development Training
- 6115 - Technical and Trade Schools
- 61151 - Technical and Trade Schools
- 6116 - Other Schools and Instruction
- 61161 - Fine Arts Schools
- 61162 - Sports and Recreation Instruction
- 61163 - Language Schools
- 61169 - All Other Schools and Instruction
- 6117 - Educational Support Services
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the subsector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.