The Educational Services sector comprises establishments that provide instruction and training in a wide variety of subjects. This instruction and training is provided by specialized establishments, such as schools, colleges, universities, and training centers. These establishments may be privately owned and operated for profit or not for profit, or they may be publicly owned and operated. They may also offer food and/or accommodation services to their students.
Educational services are usually delivered by teachers or instructors that explain, tell, demonstrate, supervise, and direct learning. Instruction is imparted in diverse settings, such as educational institutions, the workplace, or the home, and through diverse means, such as correspondence, television, the Internet, or other electronic and distance- learning methods. The training provided by these establishments may include the use of simulators and simulation methods. It can be adapted to the particular needs of the students, for example sign language can replace verbal language for teaching students with hearing impairments. All industries in the sector share this commonality of process, namely, labor inputs of instructors with the requisite subject matter expertise and teaching ability.
- 611 - Educational Services
- 6111 - Elementary and Secondary Schools
- 6112 - Junior Colleges
- 6113 - Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools
- 61131 - Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools
- 6114 - Business Schools and Computer and Management Training
- 61141 - Business and Secretarial Schools
- 61142 - Computer Training
- 61143 - Professional and Management Development Training
- 6115 - Technical and Trade Schools
- 61151 - Technical and Trade Schools
- 6116 - Other Schools and Instruction
- 61161 - Fine Arts Schools
- 61162 - Sports and Recreation Instruction
- 61163 - Language Schools
- 61169 - All Other Schools and Instruction
- 6117 - Educational Support Services
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
What's the difference between HD and SD? See our methodology.