The Wholesale Trade sector comprises establishments engaged in wholesaling merchandise, generally without transformation, and rendering services incidental to the sale of merchandise. The merchandise described in this sector includes the outputs of agriculture, mining, manufacturing, and certain information industries, such as publishing.
The wholesaling process is an intermediate step in the distribution of merchandise. Wholesalers are organized to sell or arrange the purchase or sale of (a) goods for resale (i.e., goods sold to other wholesalers or retailers), (b) capital or durable nonconsumer goods, and (c) raw and intermediate materials and supplies used in production.
Wholesalers sell merchandise to other businesses and normally operate from a warehouse or office. These warehouses and offices are characterized by having little or no display of merchandise. In addition, neither the design nor the location of the premises is intended to solicit walk-in traffic. Wholesalers do not normally use advertising directed to the general public. Customers are generally reached initially via telephone, in-person marketing, or by specialized advertising that may include Internet and other electronic means. Follow-up orders are either vendor-initiated or client-initiated, generally based on previous sales, and typically exhibit strong ties between sellers and buyers. In fact, transactions are often conducted between wholesalers and clients that have long-standing business relationships.
This sector comprises two main types of wholesalers: merchant wholesalers that sell goods on their own account and agents and brokers that arrange sales and purchases for others generally for a commission or fee.
(1) Establishments that sell goods on their own account are known as wholesale merchants, distributors, jobbers, drop shippers, and import/export merchants. Also included as wholesale merchants are sales offices and sales branches (but not retail stores) maintained by manufacturing, refining, or mining enterprises apart from their plants or mines for the purpose of marketing their products, and group purchasing organizations primarily purchasing and selling goods on their own account. Merchant wholesale establishments typically maintain their own warehouse, where they receive and handle goods for their customers. Goods are generally sold without transformation, but may include integral functions, such as sorting, packaging, labeling, and other marketing services.
(2) Establishments arranging for the purchase or sale of goods owned by others or purchasing goods, generally on a commission basis are known as business-to-business electronic markets, agents and brokers, commission merchants, import/export agents and brokers, auction companies, group purchasing organizations (acting as agents), and manufacturers' representatives. These establishments operate from offices and generally do not own or handle the goods they sell.
Some wholesale establishments may be connected with a single manufacturer and promote and sell the particular manufacturer's products to a wide range of other wholesalers or retailers. Other wholesalers may be connected to a retail chain, or limited number of retail chains, and only provide a variety of products needed by that particular retail operation(s). These wholesalers may obtain the products from a wide range of manufacturers. Still other wholesalers may not take title to the goods, but act as agents and brokers for a commission.
Although, in general, wholesaling normally denotes sales in large volumes, durable nonconsumer goods may be sold in single units. Sales of capital or durable nonconsumer goods used in the production of goods and services, such as farm machinery, medium- and heavy-duty trucks, and industrial machinery, are always included in wholesale trade.
- 423 - Merchant Wholesalers, Durable Goods
- 4231 - Motor Vehicle and Motor Vehicle Parts and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42311 - Automobile and Other Motor Vehicle Merchant Wholesalers
- 42312 - Motor Vehicle Supplies and New Parts Merchant Wholesalers
- 42313 - Tire and Tube Merchant Wholesalers
- 42314 - Motor Vehicle Parts (Used) Merchant Wholesalers
- 4232 - Furniture and Home Furnishing Merchant Wholesalers
- 42321 - Furniture Merchant Wholesalers
- 42322 - Home Furnishing Merchant Wholesalers
- 4233 - Lumber and Other Construction Materials Merchant Wholesalers
- 42331 - Lumber, Plywood, Millwork, and Wood Panel Merchant Wholesalers
- 42332 - Brick, Stone, and Related Construction Material Merchant Wholesalers
- 42333 - Roofing, Siding, and Insulation Material Merchant Wholesalers
- 42339 - Other Construction Material Merchant Wholesalers
- 4234 - Professional and Commercial Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42341 - Photographic Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42342 - Office Equipment Merchant Wholesalers
- 42343 - Computer and Computer Peripheral Equipment and Software Merchant Wholesalers
- 42344 - Other Commercial Equipment Merchant Wholesalers
- 42345 - Medical, Dental, and Hospital Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42346 - Ophthalmic Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- 42349 - Other Professional Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 4235 - Metal and Mineral (except Petroleum) Merchant Wholesalers
- 42351 - Metal Service Centers and Other Metal Merchant Wholesalers
- 42352 - Coal and Other Mineral and Ore Merchant Wholesalers
- 4236 - Household Appliances and Electrical and Electronic Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- 42361 - Electrical Apparatus and Equipment, Wiring Supplies, and Related Equipment Merchant Wholesalers
- 423610 - Electrical Apparatus and Equipment, Wiring Supplies, and Related Equipment Merchant Wholesalers
- 42362 - Household Appliances, Electric Housewares, and Consumer Electronics Merchant Wholesalers
- 42369 - Other Electronic Parts and Equipment Merchant Wholesalers
- 4237 - Hardware, and Plumbing and Heating Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42371 - Hardware Merchant Wholesalers
- 42372 - Plumbing and Heating Equipment and Supplies (Hydronics) Merchant Wholesalers
- 42373 - Warm Air Heating and Air-Conditioning Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42374 - Refrigeration Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 4238 - Machinery, Equipment, and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42381 - Construction and Mining (except Oil Well) Machinery and Equipment Merchant Wholesalers
- 42382 - Farm and Garden Machinery and Equipment Merchant Wholesalers
- 42383 - Industrial Machinery and Equipment Merchant Wholesalers
- 42384 - Industrial Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42385 - Service Establishment Equipment and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42386 - Transportation Equipment and Supplies (except Motor Vehicle) Merchant Wholesalers
- 4239 - Miscellaneous Durable Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- 42391 - Sporting and Recreational Goods and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42392 - Toy and Hobby Goods and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42393 - Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesalers
- 42394 - Jewelry, Watch, Precious Stone, and Precious Metal Merchant Wholesalers
- 42399 - Other Miscellaneous Durable Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- 424 - Merchant Wholesalers, Nondurable Goods
- 4241 - Paper and Paper Product Merchant Wholesalers
- 42411 - Printing and Writing Paper Merchant Wholesalers
- 42412 - Stationery and Office Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42413 - Industrial and Personal Service Paper Merchant Wholesalers
- 4242 - Drugs and Druggists' Sundries Merchant Wholesalers
- 42421 - Drugs and Druggists' Sundries Merchant Wholesalers
- 4243 - Apparel, Piece Goods, and Notions Merchant Wholesalers
- 42431 - Piece Goods, Notions, and Other Dry Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- 42434 - Footwear Merchant Wholesalers
- 42435 - Clothing and Clothing Accessories Merchant Wholesalers
- 4244 - Grocery and Related Product Merchant Wholesalers
- 42441 - General Line Grocery Merchant Wholesalers
- 42442 - Packaged Frozen Food Merchant Wholesalers
- 42443 - Dairy Product (except Dried or Canned) Merchant Wholesalers
- 42444 - Poultry and Poultry Product Merchant Wholesalers
- 42445 - Confectionery Merchant Wholesalers
- 42446 - Fish and Seafood Merchant Wholesalers
- 42447 - Meat and Meat Product Merchant Wholesalers
- 42448 - Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Merchant Wholesalers
- 42449 - Other Grocery and Related Products Merchant Wholesalers
- 4245 - Farm Product Raw Material Merchant Wholesalers
- 42451 - Grain and Field Bean Merchant Wholesalers
- 42452 - Livestock Merchant Wholesalers
- 42459 - Other Farm Product Raw Material Merchant Wholesalers
- 4246 - Chemical and Allied Products Merchant Wholesalers
- 42461 - Plastics Materials and Basic Forms and Shapes Merchant Wholesalers
- 42469 - Other Chemical and Allied Products Merchant Wholesalers
- 4247 - Petroleum and Petroleum Products Merchant Wholesalers
- 42471 - Petroleum Bulk Stations and Terminals
- 42472 - Petroleum and Petroleum Products Merchant Wholesalers (except Bulk Stations and Terminals)
- 4248 - Beer, Wine, and Distilled Alcoholic Beverage Merchant Wholesalers
- 42481 - Beer and Ale Merchant Wholesalers
- 42482 - Wine and Distilled Alcoholic Beverage Merchant Wholesalers
- 4249 - Miscellaneous Nondurable Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- 42491 - Farm Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42492 - Book, Periodical, and Newspaper Merchant Wholesalers
- 42493 - Flower, Nursery Stock, and Florists' Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42494 - Tobacco Product and Electronic Cigarette Merchant Wholesalers
- 42495 - Paint, Varnish, and Supplies Merchant Wholesalers
- 42499 - Other Miscellaneous Nondurable Goods Merchant Wholesalers
- 425 - Wholesale Trade Agents and Brokers
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.