The Utilities sector comprises establishments engaged in the provision of the following utility services: electric power, natural gas, steam supply, water supply, and sewage treatment and disposal. Within this sector, the specific activities associated with the utility services provided vary by utility: electric power includes generation, transmission, and distribution; natural gas includes distribution; steam supply includes provision and/or distribution; water supply includes treatment and distribution; and sewage removal includes collection, treatment, and disposal of waste through sewer systems and sewage treatment facilities.
Excluded from this sector are establishments primarily engaged in waste management services classified in Subsector 562, Waste Management and Remediation Services. These establishments also collect, treat, and dispose of waste materials; however, they do not use sewer systems or sewage treatment facilities.
- 221 - Utilities
- 2211 - Electric Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution
- 22111 - Electric Power Generation
- 221111 - Hydroelectric Power Generation
- 221112 - Fossil Fuel Electric Power Generation
- 221113 - Nuclear Electric Power Generation
- 221114 - Solar Electric Power Generation
- 221115 - Wind Electric Power Generation
- 221116 - Geothermal Electric Power Generation
- 221117 - Biomass Electric Power Generation
- 221118 - Other Electric Power Generation
- 22112 - Electric Power Transmission, Control, and Distribution
- 2212 - Natural Gas Distribution
- 2213 - Water, Sewage and Other Systems
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.