Real Estate and Rental and Leasing
The Real Estate and Rental and Leasing sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in renting, leasing, or otherwise allowing the use of tangible or intangible assets, and establishments providing related services. The major portion of this sector comprises establishments that rent, lease, or otherwise allow the use of their own assets by others. The assets may be tangible, as is the case of real estate and equipment, or intangible, as is the case with patents and trademarks.
This sector also includes establishments primarily engaged in managing real estate for others, selling, renting and/or buying real estate for others, and appraising real estate. These activities are closely related to this sector's main activity, and from a production basis they are included here. In addition, a substantial proportion of property management is self-performed by lessors.
The main components of this sector are the real estate lessors industries (including equity real estate investment trusts (REITs)); equipment lessors industries (including motor vehicles, computers, and consumer goods); and lessors of nonfinancial intangible assets (except copyrighted works).
Excluded from this sector are establishments primarily engaged in renting or leasing equipment with operators. Establishments renting or leasing equipment with operators are classified in various subsectors of NAICS depending on the nature of the services provided (e.g., transportation, construction, agriculture). These activities are excluded from this sector because the client is paying for the expertise and knowledge of the equipment operator, in addition to the rental of the equipment. In many cases, such as the rental of heavy construction equipment, the operator is essential to operate the equipment.
- 531 - Real Estate
- 5311 - Lessors of Real Estate
- 53111 - Lessors of Residential Buildings and Dwellings
- 53112 - Lessors of Nonresidential Buildings (except Miniwarehouses)
- 53113 - Lessors of Miniwarehouses and Self-Storage Units
- 53119 - Lessors of Other Real Estate Property
- 5312 - Offices of Real Estate Agents and Brokers
- 53121 - Offices of Real Estate Agents and Brokers
- 5313 - Activities Related to Real Estate
- 53131 - Real Estate Property Managers
- 53132 - Offices of Real Estate Appraisers
- 53139 - Other Activities Related to Real Estate
- 532 - Rental and Leasing Services
- 5321 - Automotive Equipment Rental and Leasing
- 53211 - Passenger Car Rental and Leasing
- 53212 - Truck, Utility Trailer, and RV (Recreational Vehicle) Rental and Leasing
- 5322 - Consumer Goods Rental
- 53221 - Consumer Electronics and Appliances Rental
- 53228 - Other Consumer Goods Rental
- 5323 - General Rental Centers
- 5324 - Commercial and Industrial Machinery and Equipment Rental and Leasing
- 53241 - Construction, Transportation, Mining, and Forestry Machinery and Equipment Rental and Leasing
- 532411 - Commercial Air, Rail, and Water Transportation Equipment Rental and Leasing
- 532412 - Construction, Mining, and Forestry Machinery and Equipment Rental and Leasing
- 53242 - Office Machinery and Equipment Rental and Leasing
- 53249 - Other Commercial and Industrial Machinery and Equipment Rental and Leasing
- 533 - Lessors of Nonfinancial Intangible Assets (except Copyrighted Works)
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
What's the difference between HD and SD? See our methodology.