Transportation and Warehousing
The Transportation and Warehousing sector includes industries providing transportation of passengers and cargo, warehousing and storage for goods, scenic and sightseeing transportation, and support activities related to modes of transportation. Establishments in these industries use transportation equipment or transportation related facilities as a productive asset. The type of equipment depends on the mode of transportation. The modes of transportation are air, rail, water, road, and pipeline.
The Transportation and Warehousing sector distinguishes three basic types of activities: subsectors for each mode of transportation, a subsector for warehousing and storage, and a subsector for establishments providing support activities for transportation. In addition, there are subsectors for establishments that provide passenger transportation for scenic and sightseeing purposes, postal services, and courier services.
A separate subsector for support activities is established in the sector because, first, support activities for transportation are inherently multimodal, such as freight transportation arrangement, or have multimodal aspects. Secondly, there are production process similarities among the support activity industries.
One of the support activities identified in the support activity subsector is the routine repair and maintenance of transportation equipment (e.g., aircraft at an airport, railroad rolling stock at a railroad terminal, or ships at a harbor or port facility). Such establishments do not perform complete overhauling or rebuilding of transportation equipment (i.e., periodic restoration of transportation equipment to original design specifications) or transportation equipment conversion (i.e., major modification to systems). An establishment that primarily performs factory (or shipyard) overhauls, rebuilding, or conversions of aircraft, railroad rolling stock, or a ship is classified in Subsector 336, Transportation Equipment Manufacturing according to the type of equipment.
Many of the establishments in this sector often operate on networks, with physical facilities, labor forces, and equipment spread over an extensive geographic area.
Warehousing establishments in this sector are distinguished from merchant wholesaling in that the warehouse establishments do not sell the goods.
Excluded from this sector are establishments primarily engaged in providing travel agent services that support transportation and other establishments, such as hotels, businesses, and government agencies. These establishments are classified in Sector 56, Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services. Also, establishments primarily engaged in providing rental and leasing of transportation equipment without operator are classified in Subsector 532, Rental and Leasing Services.
- 481 - Air Transportation
- 4811 - Scheduled Air Transportation
- 48111 - Scheduled Air Transportation
- 4812 - Nonscheduled Air Transportation
- 482 - Rail Transportation
- 4821 - Rail Transportation
- 483 - Water Transportation
- 4831 - Deep Sea, Coastal, and Great Lakes Water Transportation
- 48311 - Deep Sea, Coastal, and Great Lakes Water Transportation
- 4832 - Inland Water Transportation
- 484 - Truck Transportation
- 4841 - General Freight Trucking
- 48411 - General Freight Trucking, Local
- 48412 - General Freight Trucking, Long-Distance
- 4842 - Specialized Freight Trucking
- 48421 - Used Household and Office Goods Moving
- 48422 - Specialized Freight (except Used Goods) Trucking, Local
- 48423 - Specialized Freight (except Used Goods) Trucking, Long-Distance
- 485 - Transit and Ground Passenger Transportation
- 4851 - Urban Transit Systems
- 48511 - Urban Transit Systems
- 4852 - Interurban and Rural Bus Transportation
- 4853 - Taxi and Limousine Service
- 4854 - School and Employee Bus Transportation
- 4855 - Charter Bus Industry
- 4859 - Other Transit and Ground Passenger Transportation
- 486 - Pipeline Transportation
- 4861 - Pipeline Transportation of Crude Oil
- 4862 - Pipeline Transportation of Natural Gas
- 4869 - Other Pipeline Transportation
- 487 - Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation
- 4871 - Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation, Land
- 48711 - Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation, Land
- 4872 - Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation, Water
- 48721 - Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation, Water
- 4879 - Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation, Other
- 488 - Support Activities for Transportation
- 4881 - Support Activities for Air Transportation
- 48811 - Airport Operations
- 48819 - Other Support Activities for Air Transportation
- 4882 - Support Activities for Rail Transportation
- 48821 - Support Activities for Rail Transportation
- 4883 - Support Activities for Water Transportation
- 48831 - Port and Harbor Operations
- 48832 - Marine Cargo Handling
- 48833 - Navigational Services to Shipping
- 48839 - Other Support Activities for Water Transportation
- 4884 - Support Activities for Road Transportation
- 48841 - Motor Vehicle Towing
- 48849 - Other Support Activities for Road Transportation
- 4885 - Freight Transportation Arrangement
- 4889 - Other Support Activities for Transportation
- 491 - Postal Service
- 492 - Couriers and Messengers
- 4921 - Couriers and Express Delivery Services
- 4922 - Local Messengers and Local Delivery
- 493 - Warehousing and Storage
- 4931 - Warehousing and Storage
- 49311 - General Warehousing and Storage
- 49312 - Refrigerated Warehousing and Storage
- 49313 - Farm Product Warehousing and Storage
- 49319 - Other Warehousing and Storage
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the sector level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.