industry group 2123
Nonmetallic Mineral Mining and Quarrying
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in developing mine sites, or in mining or quarrying nonmetallic minerals (except fuels). Also included are certain well and brine operations, and preparation plants primarily engaged in beneficiating (e.g., crushing, grinding, washing, and concentrating) nonmetallic minerals.
Beneficiation is the process whereby the extracted material is reduced to particles which can be separated into mineral and waste, the former suitable for further processing or direct use. The operations that take place in beneficiation are primarily mechanical, such as grinding, washing, magnetic separation, and centrifugal separation. In contrast, manufacturing operations primarily use chemical and electrochemical processes, such as electrolysis and distillation. However, some treatments, such as heat treatments, take place in both the beneficiation and the manufacturing (i.e., smelting/refining) stages. The range of preparation activities varies by mineral and the purity of any given ore deposit. While some minerals, such as petroleum and natural gas, require little or no preparation, others are washed and screened, while yet others, such as gold and silver, can be transformed into bullion before leaving the mine site.
The immediate parent of industry group 2123 is subsector 212: Mining (except Oil and Gas)
- 21231 - Stone Mining and Quarrying
- 212311 - Dimension Stone Mining and Quarrying
- 212312 - Crushed and Broken Limestone Mining and Quarrying
- 212313 - Crushed and Broken Granite Mining and Quarrying
- 212319 - Other Crushed and Broken Stone Mining and Quarrying
- 21232 - Sand, Gravel, Clay, and Ceramic and Refractory Minerals Mining and Quarrying
- 212321 - Construction Sand and Gravel Mining
- 212322 - Industrial Sand Mining
- 212324 - Kaolin and Ball Clay Mining
- 212325 - Clay and Ceramic and Refractory Minerals Mining
- 21239 - Other Nonmetallic Mineral Mining and Quarrying
The NAICS editions in which this code was present are indicated below. In the event that a code was changed from the prior edition the equivalent value in that edition is provided for reference.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Mappings
SIC Mappings are not available at the industry group level, a more specific code is required.
SIC mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.
Insurance Industry Mappings
Mappings are not available at the industry group level, a more specific code is required.
Insurance industry mappings are available for 6 digit national industry codes and their sub-descriptions only. For detailed mappings choose the most appropriate six-digit code from the list of descendants.